- 9.4.1 Element information
- 9.4.2 RDA definition and scope
- 9.4.25 Related elements
- 9.4.3 General rule
- 9.4.31 Statements relating to a substantially unchanged impression or state
- 9.4.32 Edition statements on nonce collections
- 9.4.33 Exhibition history
- 9.4.34 Copy numbers from limitation statements
- 9.4.35 Completed blanks in transcribed elements
9.4.1 Element information
9.4.2 RDA definition and scope
126.96.36.199 A broad unstructured description of one or more attributes of an item.
9.4.25 Related elements
- Modification of item for item-specific alterations; provenance evidence; item-specific binding details; etc.
- Custodial history of item for summaries of the past ownership of an item
- Bound with for items bound together subsequent to publication
- Note on extent of item for notes on missing pages or leaves or differences and when the number of physical units in which a publication is bound differs from the number in which it was actually issued
- Note on dimensions of item for notes on dimensions of an item differing from the dimensions of the manifestation as issued, folded dimensions of a sheet not folded as issued, and dimensions of a container not issued with the resource
9.4.3 General rule
188.8.131.52 Make a note on item for any special features of the item being described when they are considered important. Item-specific information is highly desirable in the context of rare materials cataloging, which puts greater emphasis on materials as artifacts than is usual in general cataloging practice. Notes on item can also provide warrant for recording relationships (e.g., names of former owners or binders) or genre terms, (e.g., various kinds of provenance evidence, binding characteristics, etc.). Carefully distinguish notes on item from Notes on manifestation that record information valid for all items exemplifying the manifestation being cataloged.
184.108.40.206 For many older publications, however, it will not be readily ascertainable whether the characteristics of a single item are in fact shared by other exemplars of the manifestation. In case of doubt, consider that the characteristics of the item in hand are not shared by other items exemplifying the manifestation.
220.127.116.11 The extent and depth of detail provided in note on item will be determined by the local policies of the cataloging agency. The rules set forth in this element are intended primarily to provide guidance and examples; the instructions are not to be seen as prescriptive.
18.104.22.168 Include in note on item a designation of the holding institution (e.g., a name, acronym, or code). Provide identification such as a designation of the item’s physical location (e.g., a shelfmark) or an indication of the item’s copy number (if the institution holds more than one copy) if considered important.
9.4.31 Statements relating to a substantially unchanged impression or state
22.214.171.124 Record information about statements relating to a substantially unchanged impression or state, if such statements have not been recorded as a Designation of edition and the information is considered important (see 126.96.36.199).
“Ninth printing, December, 1954,” on title page verso
Library’s copy: “Fifth ten thousand”
Library’s copy: Number “2” on title page indicates 2nd printing
Library’s copy: “51st-100th”–Title page verso
Library’s copy: “163-173 Tausend”
Library’s copy: Number line on title page verso indicates 3rd printing: “8 7 6 5 4 3 88 89 90 91 92”
Library’s copy: Publisher’s code “B-O” on title page verso indicates printed Feb. 1914; see Boutell, H.S. First editions (4th ed., rev. and enl.)
9.4.32 Edition statements on nonce collections
9.4.33 Exhibition history
188.8.131.52 Record where and when the item has been exhibited if considered important.
Exhibited: “Illustrating the Imagination: Celebrating Children’s Illustrators from the Cornish Colony and Today” at the Cornish Museum, Windsor, VT, 2009-2010
9.4.34 Copy numbers from limitation statements
184.108.40.206 For items with limitation statements which include a unique number of the item being cataloged, record the copy number as a note on item. See Note on manifestation, 9.3.35 for recording limitation statements.
LC has no. 20
Indiana University Library copy: unnumbered
British Library copy at YD.2004.a.1724: identified as number 97 of 250 copies on recto of final printed leaf
British Library copy at YA.1988.a.5946: identified as number 141 of a limited edition of 150 copies printed on laid Holland paper